Monday, September 22, 2008

A quick rant and a heads up about the place we call USA.

Let me tell you all a little something you wont see in the news. All those people you see displaced by the hurricane. All those people, cleaning the mud out of their homes, or not having a home at all. Hundreds of families..they have no place to go. Ive seen them living outside their homes in tents. Ive seen them at the camp sites as Im going down the road, living in tents. We are talking parents, young children, etc. FEMA refuses to bring in temporary housing, and to be honest, we haven't seen anyone from FEMA in this area, except to bring ice and water...and the kicker? They give one package of water, one bag of ice. (Oh the plus side, Walmart has in their parking lot, compliments of Walmart, 3 bags of ice and 3 packs of water for anyone that needs it)
What happens to all these families now? Their homes are unlivable. Are they to live in tents until FEMA decides to help them? All the hotels are filled in this area (and believe me, these are small towns, there are very few hotels). The local mayors are asking people to take in a family that they know to help everyone out in this trying time because our government, the Government that helps so many people in other countries, cannot help our own. If I knew someone that needed help, I would take them in. (It wouldn't be my first time, Ive taken in 5 homeless children into my apartment when we lived in the hood)....(speaking of which, our old apartment? It was crumbled to the ground in the hurricane. See? God has a plan for everyone, noone was living there at the time, thank God).
The whole rant Im making is this. We pay our tax dollars and our government can help everyone in other countries, but they cant help the people in our country that need it! Hell, FEMA has even stole our 'air space.' Meaning, if you are in a disaster area that got totally flooded, your cell phone will not work because FEMA has shut down that satellite.
True story.
Your cell phone will flash 'Federal Emergency Calls only.' Ive seen it first hand. I asked a national guardsman what that meant, he says 'FEMA has control of the cell phone services and they are the only ones that can make calls'. Are we living in a communist country? Someone please put a woman in the white house so she can fix this world we live in, because men have fucked it up for years and are continuing to screw it up some more!!
What gets me is, during hurricane Katrina, FEMA gave debit cards to those people, and they bought big screen TVs, jewelry, etc. They gave those people free housing (meaning they paid their rent) for 3 years. They brought in temporary housing for them. Supposedly since those people took advantage of the situation, FEMA refuses to do that again. Well, im sorry but were not the people from 'Nawlins'...and if the world thought like FEMA thinks, then the first time a president screwed up, then we wouldn't be having any more presidents after that. You cant keep changing the rules because of a few bad apples.
What did the people in Texas get after this hurricane? A visit from the president, a bag of ice, and a package of water.
Wow.

Our local school district volunteers, helping out our neighbors, because our government cant.



6 comments:

~Sheila~ said...

You know, I'm glad you are letting us know about all of this because I didn't know anything about that FEMA situation.
I wish there was more I could do.

Again, glad you and yours made it through unharmed.

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh my gosh. I'd be pretty bitter. Sad, very sad. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Me and my son were talking about this today and I said the exact thing you said, we need to start looking out for our own people instead of being the first one there for any other country. Of course he had his views and so it was a standoff, he says we have to help others bc we may need them one day. Needless to say he is just like his dad so I just let him talk....not saying I gave in, I just thought go ahead and while youre driving and talking, I will close my eyes and relax a little bit.
I hope it goes better for everyone in Texas.
And the MRE pics were cool...Im glad you posted them. Kudos to the kids helping out...thats what it takes right now.

Julie H said...

((hugs to you and your family and neighbors))

Rhea said...

Holy Moses, I didn't realize it was this bad in Texas. The cell phone thing is SCARY. THank you for posting about this. How can we help?

Justa Hillbilly said...

Hiyas Ericka, I am happy you and yours are safe. welcome back!

Thanks for the post, it does make ya stop and think what is up with this country..?lol ya know how they say..'if ya don't like it, move!...well, if I could afford it!!! lol
*knh*